Carlisle's oldest public building, dating to 1757, has been in continuous use since the Colonial era and is puported to be the site where locals met in July 1774 to support American Independence.
Ranking among the oldest congregations in Cumberland County, the First Presbyterian Church began holding services along the Conodoguinet Creek as early as 1734 when the first Scots-Irish settlers arrived in the area. By the early 1750s, Carlisle had become the county seat, and the congregation moved right onto the town square.
Two years before the American Colonies declared independence from England, a group of men met inside this church and drafted a resolution in support of independence. Many Loyalists at the time looked at the rebellious nature of Presbyterian "dissenters" as driving force behind the call for independence, and this early action on Carlisle's Square seems to support that idea.
In October of 1794, George Washington is said to have worshipped in the church's sanctuary while he spent a week in Carlisle, mustering and reviewing troops in response to the Whiskey Rebellion and socializing with some of his former Continental Army comrades, several of whom hailed from Carlisle.
Over the years, the church has undergone several expansions and renovations, but the original limestone structure still remains an integral part of the building. During the summer months, a local farmer's market, Farmer's on the Square, is hosted on the church's grounds.
The church continues to serve Carlisle with programs and services, so please see their website for more information.
SUNDAY SERVICES Due to the pandemic, please see their website for the most up-to-date information on services.
CHURCH OFFICE HOURS Due to the pandemic, please see their website for the most up-to-date hours.